Some posts on this site contain affiliate links, meaning if you book or buy something through one of these links, I may earn a small commission (at no extra cost to you). Read the full disclosure policy here.
Step into a winter wonderland at the Strasbourg Christmas Market 2023! Get ready to immerse yourself in the magical atmosphere of one of Europe’s oldest and most enchanting holiday traditions. Started in 1570, the Christmas Market in Strasbourg draws approximately 2 million visitors a year.
The Strasbourg Christmas Market, known as the Christkindelsmärik, is the most famous of French Christmas markets. Looking for festive cheer? You’ll find it here in a magical atmosphere with over 300 chalets selling artisan foods, handmade decorations and unique gifts. Stroll through the Strasbourg Christmas Market under twinkling lights munching on roasted chestnuts, and famous Bredele cookies while sipping on mulled wine. Do Christmas markets get any better than this? No wonder the city is called “Strasbourg Capitale de Noël!”
Strasbourg Christmas Market Dates And Hours 2023
In 2023, the Christmas Market in Strasbourg runs from November 24 – December 24.
Strasbourg Christmas Market Opening Hours in 2023 are as follows:
November 24, 2023 from 2 p.m. to 9 p.m.
November 25 to December 23, 2023, from 11:30 a.m. to 9 p.m. daily.
December 24, the market closes at 6 p.m.
How To Find The Marché de Nöel Strasbourg
The Strasbourg Christmas Market is made up of many smaller markets that are all located on the Grande Ile de Strasbourg in the historic core. The Grand Ile is Strasbourg’s UNESCO World Heritage Site filled with cobbled lanes and half-timbered houses under the shadow of the cathedral.
If you are arriving by train, the market area is just a short walk from the station. All of the markets are within walking distance of each other and during the Strasbourg Christmas Market this entire area is a pedestrian zone.
These are the squares where you will find The Strasbourg Christmas Market 2023
- Place Broglie – the heart and soul of the Strasbourg Christmas Market since 1871
- Place Kléber – find the tallest decorated Christmas Tree in Europe and lots of chalets
- Place de la Cathédrale – lots of artisanal chalets in the shadow of the magnificent Gothic Cathedral
- Place Benjamin Zix – oh là là such amazing offerings of Alsation artisanal delicacies such as chestnut flour, beer, honey and plenty of handmade gifts
- Place Saint Thomas – don’t miss this delightful little market on the way to La Petite France
- Place des Meuniers – more small producers of local delicacies!
- Place du Marché aux Poissons and Palais des Rohan – the Marché des Délices…come here to taste the gingerbread, bredele, and mannele! Mmmm!
- Place Gayot – a beautiful Christmas tree and more chalets
- Place Grimmeisen – the Marché OFF is a place to make ethical and responsible purchases! Come to exchange, bargain hunt, create, and recycle!
11 Best Things To Do At The Strasbourg Christmas Market
1. Explore The Unique Chalets
As you stroll through the cobblestone streets of this picturesque city, you’ll be greeted by over 300 wooden chalets adorned with twinkling lights and boughs of holly. The scent of freshly baked gingerbread and mulled wine fills the air, instantly transporting you into a world filled with warmth and joy.
The Strasbourg Christmas Markets are renowned for their unique artisanal crafts and traditional goodies. Explore the stalls brimming with handmade ornaments, intricate lacework, delicate pottery, and luxurious textiles.
I’ve been to a lot of Christmas markets and was impressed in Strasbourg by the variety of unique products and how easy it was to find unique gifts.
2. Stand In Awe Of The Grand Sapin
The stunning and impressive Christmas Tree in the centre of Place Kléber is one of the things you simply must see! The Strasbourg Christmas Market 2023 has a magnificent Silver Fir, Sapin de Noël, that stands 98 feet (30 m) tall and is 80 years old. The Grand Sapin is the tallest decorated Christmas tree in Europe! Look way up taking in the ornaments and sparkling lights that reflect the theme of the 2023 Strasbourg Christmas Market, the heart or le coeur. The Grand Sapin glitters to music from 16 h to 21h each evening.
3. Wander Under The Christmas Lights
Les Illuminations, the Christmas Lights, at the Strasbourg Christmas Market are absolutely magical. Stroll from one tiny medieval street to another and marvel at the lights and magical decorations that make this UNESCO World Heritage Site more charming than ever! Be sure to stroll down Rue des Tonneliers where 22 tons of sparkling lights are suspended from above! Don’t miss the Fairy-like Forest (le Fôret Féérique) on rue de la Mésange where 22 trees are lit in golden and white lights.
4. Savour Alsation Sweets
Your taste buds will be watering at the sight of all the Bredele, the traditional Alsatian Christmas cookies dating back to the 14th century. They are decorated cookies and come in various shapes and flavours such as almond, lemon, and honey. They are delicious and I tasted my fair share! Bredele also make a great gift.
The scent of gingerbread (pain d’épices) alone transports one immediately to the Christmas season. Gingerbread is readily available at the Strasbourg Christmas Market! Think honey and spices! Mmmm… They’ve been giving gingerbread as gifts in Strasbourg as far back as 1412!
Keep your eyes open for the traditional Mannele. It’s a brioche in the shape of a little man, sometimes decorated with raisins to chocolate chips.
For those who like a savory snack, the Strasbourg Christmas Market has plenty of warm, fresh, salty pretzels!
5. Stroll Along With Mulled Wine
There’s something about holding a cup of hot mulled wine or vin chaud in your hands as you enjoy the Strasbourg Christmas Market. Also known as glühwein, mulled wine is a delightful concoction of red wine infused with aromatic spices and sweetened with a touch of honey or sugar. Vin chaud brings warmth and cheer to chilly evenings like no other!
6. Meander Along The Medieval Streets Of Petite France
Just imagine back to the Middle Ages when artisans plied their trades on this maze of cobbled streets. Canals, covered bridges, 13th-century towers, colourful half-timbered houses and the Barrage Vauban (Vauban Dam) over the River III are all part of this historic area’s charm. Take your time here. It’s the perfect place to wander and marvel, even in the chilly air.
7. Be Impressed By Rue des Hallebardes
This historic street is beyond charming with its half-timbered houses. Maison Kammerzeil, a 15th-century house, is the star of the street! With its festive decorations and twinkling Christmas lights, rue des Hallebardes is not to be missed during the Strasbourg Christmas Market 2023!
8. Visit The Gothic Cathedral
While at the Strasbourg Christmas Market make sure to pay a visit to the stunning Strasbourg Cathedral. Notre Dame de Strasbourg, completed in 1439, is a masterpiece of Gothic architecture with its spire soaring to 466 feet (142 Metres). Needless to say, it stands tall amidst the festive hustle and bustle. Marvel at its intricate details as it becomes even more breathtaking when illuminated by thousands of shimmering lights during this time of year.
With the shorter days of the year during the Strasbourg Christmas Market, be sure to linger a while in the cathedral to admire the stained glass windows hailing from the 12th, 13th, and 14th centuries. The western portal’s rose window is magnificent.
The astronomical clock is an absolute marvel with all its moving parts. Be sure to stand before it at 12:30 p.m. to witness the figures, portraying Jesus and his apostles moving about, as if in a parade.
Climb the spiral staircase all 330 steps to the viewing platform for marvellous views over Strasbourg and its glittering Christmas lights.
9. Take A Guided Tour
Guided Tours For the Strasbourg Christmas Market
If you want to make sure to hear stories from a local and cover the best aspects of the market, why not take a tour?
- Strasbourg Christmas Market Tour
- Strasbourg Christmas Market 2023 at Night with Mulled Wine
- Christmas Joy in Strasbourg Walking Tour
- From Strasbourg Alsace Villages and Colmar Christmas Market
10. Go Skating
If you really want to dive into Christmas in Strasbourg France, head over to Place du Château where an ice-skating rink awaits! Create lasting memories on the ice, surrounded by an enchanting festive ambience.
11. Take A River Cruise
Tours Batorama provides tours all year on the River III. The tour is 70 minutes long. The boats are heated in the winter!
How To Get To The Strasbourg Christmas Market from Paris?
By Train: Take the TGV (fast train) from Paris Gare de l’Est direct to Strasbourg. It is about a 2-hour journey, one way. Book My Train Ticket
Can I visit the Strasbourg Christmas Market on a day trip from Paris?
I have done this day trip from Paris to the Strasbourg Christmas Market and it is a fantastic day. There are plenty of trains between Paris and Strasbourg giving you lots of time to spend at the Strasbourg Christmas Market 2023.
Where To Stay In Strasbourg
If you want to explore the Strasbourg Christmas Market 2023 more fully, why not spend a night or two in Strasbourg? You could also visit the Christmas market in the charming town of Colmar.
Hotels In Strasbourg
- Hôtel and Spa Le Bouclier d’Or – has a 9.0 /10 rating and is in the perfect location
- Hôtel Gutenberg – this historic hotel right in the heart of Petite France has an 8.4/10 rating
- Hôtel du Dragon – has a lovely courtyard and is close to Petite France with an 8.2/10 rating
- Hôtel Cathédrale – has a 7.6/10 rating in a historic building with views of the cathedral
What To Eat At The Strasbourg Christmas Market 2023
Indulge your taste buds with a wide array of gastronomic delights that will leave you craving more. These delicious Alsatian treats are very particular to this region of France. Why not try:
- Flammekueche – a thin pizza-like dish topped with creme fraiche, onions and lardons (I sampled my first one at the Strasbourg Christmas Market!)
- Baeckeoffe – beef, pork, lamb, vegetable and potato stew slowed cooked and marinated in white wine
- Choucroute Garnie – definitely for meat lovers you’ll find sauerkraut served with bacon, ham hock, and Alsatian sausages
- Spätzle – soft thick egg noodles served with onions or cheese
- Kougelhopf – brioche style raisin cake. Looking for one in Paris? Yann Couvreur’s is the best!
Where To Eat At The Strasbourg Christmas Market 2023
You may be satisfied nibbling throughout the day at the Strasbourg Christmas Market but if you want to sit inside to warm up, rest up a bit, and savour some great local food here are a few suggestions:
- Maison des Tanneurs – 42 rue du Bain aux Plantes – this former tannery built in 1572 has plenty of authentic beams. What an ambience! Get a window seat for views of Petite France’s canals.
- Le Gavroche – 4 rue Klein – perhaps your trip to the Strasbourg Christmas Market 2023 includes a meal at a family-run Michelin star restaurant!
- Vince’Stub – 10 Petite rue des Dentelles – right in the heart of Petite-France this is the perfect place on chilly winter days to try an Alsatian classic.
Other Christmas Markets In Alsace
Staying in Strasbourg for a few days is an ideal opportunity to visit other markets in the Alsace Region. Why not try the renowned markets in Colmar, Riquewihr, Eguisheim, and Kayserberg?
Why not take a tour: From Strasbourg Alsace Villages and Colmar Christmas Market?
Or, take a train from Strasbourg to Colmar Book My Ticket.
FAQ’s: Strasbourg Christmas Market 2023
Is the Christmas Market in Strasbourg worth it?
The Christmas market in Strasbourg, known as the Christkindelsmärik, is the most famous of French Christmas markets. Started in 1570, the Christmas market in Strasbourg draws approximately 2 million visitors a year. Enjoy the magical atmosphere with over 300 chalets, munching on roasted chestnuts and sipping on mulled wine. The Christmas Market in Strasbourg is definitely worth visiting!
When is the Strasbourg Christmas Market 2023?
In 2023, the Christmas Market in Strasbourg runs from November 24 – December 24.
What are the hours at the Strasbourg Christmas Market 2023?
On opening day, the Christmas Market in Strasbourg is open from 2 p.m. to 9 p.m.
After that the Strasbourg Christmas Market 2023 is open from 11:30 a.m. to 9 p.m. daily.
On December 24, the market closes at 6 p.m.
How long do you need at the Strasbourg Christmas Market?
This depends on how much you like browsing and delighting in the artisanal goods at the market. A full day will give you time to wander and access all the markets on the Grand Ile in Strasbourg. Those who like to linger will want more time at Strasbourg Capitale de Noël!
Where are the Christmas Markets in Strasbourg?
With over 300 stalls at the Christmas Market in Strasbourg, it might seem overwhelming. But the market stalls are located on the Grand Ile in Strasbourg’s historic core and are all within easy walking distance.
What will the weather be like at the Christmas Market in Strasbourg?
Of course, it will be cold at the Strasbourg Christmas Market 2023. But what surprised me was the dampness. I definitely did not wear enough layers when I visited the Strasbourg Christmas market. Wear a down coat, a warm hat, gloves, and a scarf.
With its rich history and charming ambience, Strasbourg is not just any Christmas market it really is the Capital of Christmas! For a truly magical Christmas experience, plan your trip to the Strasbourg Christmas Market 2023.
Until next time,
More Travel Info…
More Paris Travel Info…
Paris By Month:
Other Wintery Seasonal Articles:
- the Best Of the Paris Christmas Markets
- Where To See The Best Christmas Lights in Paris
- French Christmas Traditions to Enjoy
- Paris in the Snow
- Paris in the Winter
- Galette des Rois – the special cake only found in January
- How to Make the Perfect Cheese Board for the Holidays
- The Fantastic Strasbourg Christmas Market
Other Paris Seasons:
- Paris in the Spring: How to Enjoy the Best Season
- Where To Find the Best Spring Flowers
- Paris in the Summer
- Paris in the Fall